At Neurogene, we are working to provide medicines to improve the lives of neurologically impaired children and their families. We envision a world in which all families have access to genetic medicines, even if the disorder is exceedingly rare. For children, our goal is to enable them to have a healthier future. For families, we want to make their lives better by easing the challenges of caring for someone with a devastating neurological disorder. As an employee of Neurogene, you will be part of a culture helping to make this dream a reality, collaborating with people in a start-up environment, whose mission is to improve the lives of the patients we serve and make the world a better place.
Reporting into the Executive Director, Analytical Development, the BioAnalytical Scientist plays a critical role in ensuring analytical work is planned and executed consistent with supporting preclinical and clinical timelines for Neurogene’s product pipeline. The candidate will manage all work activities related to testing of preclinical and clinical samples. The selected candidate will have a proven track record of organization, sample management and inventory control, assay performance, demonstrated ability to multi-task and superior written/oral communication skills essential for success in this key role in a rapidly growing start-up. Furthermore, the incumbent will be highly independent and self-motivated, to meet the challenges in performing analytical methods in support of Neurogene’s preclinical and clinical programs.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Stay current and connected to changes in analytical techniques for characterizing protein and nucleic acids in tissue samples, attend and present project updates at Analytical Development team meetings and at relevant company meetings when appropriate.
- Accountable to learn and perform analytical methods to support preclinical and clinical analytical development activities. This will include, but is not limited to, SDS-PAGE, western blots and other assays as required
- Efficiently manage shifting priorities as company needs evolve and ability to prioritize important tasks in a fast-paced dynamic environment, where cross-functional communication is critical to success
- Work Schedule – Day shift
- Travel – 10-30%
- Is knowledgeable and complies with all company safety policies, rules and regulations.
- Ensure that all team members comply with safety rules and regulations.
- MS. in Biochemistry, Cell Biology, or related field with a minimum of 2-3 year experience or BS with 3-5 years of experience
- Experience in a biotech environment preferred. Exceptional analytical scientists with a deep academic background will be considered. Prior experience in a Core Lab setting is a plus.
- Working knowledge of safe handling of animal and human tissue samples
- Understanding of gene therapy principles, industry practices, and regulatory standards with ability to apply these to GMP analytics.
- Demonstrated strong ability in problem solving, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Must be able to act decisively.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team structure.
- Holds self and others accountable for achieving collective goals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to organize and manage inventory of samples.
- Experience in processing animal and human tissues and perform SDS-PAGE and western blots.
- Protein methods like silver staining, protein quantitation methods (Bradford), UV-based assessments.
- Experience extracting nucleic acids from tissues and quantifying by qPCR and rt-qPCR.
- Strong attention to detail with strong documentation and coordination practices.
- ELISAs performance and enzymatic assay performance a plus.
- Working Conditions • Majority of the work is done in a laboratory.