At Neurogene, we are working to provide medicines to improve the lives of neurologically impaired children and their families. We envision a world in which all families have access to genetic medicines, even if the disorder is exceedingly rare. For children, our goal is to enable them to have a healthier future. For families, we want to make their lives better by easing the challenges of caring for someone with a devastating neurological disorder. As an employee of Neurogene, you will be part of a culture helping to make this dream a reality, collaborating with people in a start-up environment, whose mission is to improve the lives of the patients we serve and make the world a better place.
The Medical Science Liaison, Medical Affairs, will function as a medical/scientific connection between Neurogene and key external stakeholders to augment scientific exchange. The MSL is a medical and scientific resource who supports the advancement of our programs in the neurologic space through medical/scientific exchange with key thought leaders, education of healthcare providers, and engagement of other key external stakeholders. The MSL builds and develops robust relationships and collects field insights.
The MSL will provide strategic and operational support for executing the MSL tactics as well as ongoing territory development. The strategic areas of focus include scientific exchange, health-care decision-maker education and research (investigator-initiated trials; IITs and company-sponsored trials).
Additionally, this MSL position is unique in that they will also be engaged and active in key headquarter deliverables, such as advisory board development and medical education initiatives.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated and innovative person with biopharmaceutical industry experience in the pediatric neurology, genetics, and/or gene therapy space.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Essential Functions required for the position include the following (80%):
- Establish, build, and maintain collaborative relationships with subject matter experts, investigators, institutions, and other key external stakeholders by providing disease state education and communicating the value of Neurogene’s programs
- Engage in peer-to-peer scientific exchange of complex medical and scientific information with disease state experts. Present scientifically rigorous value-based information to payer stakeholders.
- Present medical/scientific medical education to internal and external groups that are tailored to the specific audience.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with cross-functional partners. Work closely with HQ Medical to efficiently respond to questions from the field.
- Gather medical insights that may inform corporate strategy and/or clinical/medical initiatives.
- Essential Functions required for the position include the following (20%):
- Serve as a trusted medical/scientific partner and in-house subject matter expert.
- Represent Neurogene at relevant medical/scientific conferences and meetings.
- Maintain the highest ethical standards and adherence to corporate compliance policies in all activities, including those related to clinical trials, scientific interactions with internal and external groups, and unsolicited requests for medical/scientific information.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Doctorate degree (PhD, PharmD, MD, DO)
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the biopharmaceutical industry with at least 2 years’ experience as an MSL. Experience in pediatric neurology, genetics, gene therapy, and/or rare disease preferred.
- Licenses or Certifications
- Skills & Knowledge
- Ability to understand and communicate medical and scientific information to internal and external stakeholders and tailor information to a specific audience.
- Superior written and oral communication skills are essential
- Rigorous work ethic with a focus on detail and high-quality results, ability to anticipate and meet KOL needs, strong interpersonal skills enabling collaboration with cross-functional partners, investigators, consultants, and others
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration cross-functionally and complete tasks efficiently
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to embrace change in a fast-paced and exciting environment
- Ability to work in a matrixed organization